A property owner in Hillary Court has kindly offered the side wall of their building, which opens out to Hillary Court, for a mural.
The mural will:
- Be welcoming,
- reflect the local community,
- show Naenae’s history,
- connect with local Māori history
This is an exciting opportunity to breathe colour and vibrancy into Hillary Court.
How to apply
If you’re interested in being involved please send your expression of interest to Claire.email@example.com by 5pm on Thursday 13 August 2020. Please include:
- A concept sketch – Note: the selected artist will further develop their concept in a consultation session with the Naenae community
- Images of past work
- Name and contact details of a referee
You will receive an information pack.
Potential themes could include:
- Origins: Maui’s raising of Te Ika-a-Māui and his brothers cutting it, creating a lake where the cemetery is now. The splitting of this lake into two rivers, Waiwhetu and Te Awamutu, when the lake’s two taniwha clashed (“Naenae” is derived from Te Ngae Ngae, which means “to cause effect through rupture”).
- Te Raumanuka o te Ngaengae(The 100 Manuka of Naenae): an abundance of resources, birdlife, food and medicinal plants, an abundance of cultural diversity (Raumanuka is one of Naenae’s maunga/mountains).
- Modernism, design, the development of Naenae as a designer “garden community”.
The work should also consider the ‘Naenae Community’s Voice and Vision’ report which will be part of the information pack.