The Wellingtonian of the year (The Welly’s) 2018
- Science & Technology category winner: Chris Sutton is a distinguished scientist in physics and during his 45-year career he has become a world renowned expert in metrology, the science of measurement. He established the New Zealand Measurement Standards Laboratory (MSL), part of Callaghan Innovation, where he is developing the new Kibble balance instrument, to eventually be used to calculate the kilogram. Chris has been involved in regional and global metrology since the Commonwealth Science Council Project Group meeting in 1977.
- Business category winner: Derek Lander, director of packaging company Flight Plastics. The company has the only plant in New Zealand capable of processing plastic bottles and fruit punnets. So far it’s kept 200 million plastic bottles out of our oceans and landfills.
Business Excellence awards 2018
Nine of the twelve Business Excellence awards were taken out by Lower Hutt businesses. This year Hutt City Council Sponsored the Sustainability category and the Mayoral Award.
- Supreme Winner – Neos Systems Ltd
- Professional Services – Neos Systems Ltd
- Manufacturing & Distribution – Metal Art Ltd
- Technology & Innovation – Open Polytechnic of New Zealand
- Best Emerging Business – Alliance Fire & Security
- Not For Profit – Te Omanga Hospice
- Sustainability – James Henry Ltd
- Young Business Person of the Year – Bob Laloli – EMA Group
- Mayoral Award – Te Omanga Hospice