- Pack a picnic and take the family to Wainuiomata Summer Pool – complete with mini-golf and a fast 80m open air waterslide through native bush. The little ones will love the splash pad at McKenzie Baths in Petone.
- Take the kids and a change of clothes to the water fountains at Riddiford Garden (yes folks, it’s a reticulating water supply). Check it out in the evening to enjoy a multi-coloured fountain mini-light show.
- Head to famous Zany Zeus for award-winning locally handcrafted organic ice-creams. For those wanting a caffeine hit, instead of an iced coffee, ask for an affogato – a scoop of creamy organic vanilla ice cream drowned with a shot of hot espresso.
- Join the generations of locals at Taita Rock in the Hutt River. Is it safe to swim? Check Land Air Water Aotearoa (LAWA) for the latest river conditions.
- Dunk yourself under the cooling waterfall 15 minutes upstream at Percy Scenic Reserve and soak up the shade and fresh forest air, on your way back you can even explore a Weta cave!
- Freshen up with a “Cool As” Summer Refresher Drink at one of 15 cafes, restaurants, bars and a bakery in Lower Hutt. They all want to win it, so use your vote wisely!
Cool off in the Hutt
With long warm days still ahead of us we’ve got some great ideas to cool off in the Hutt.