The space if often used for community events including the regular Naenae weekend market. The stage, seating and power will support the community to put on performances and events that encourage people into the heart of Naenae.
Work to revitalise the area is due to begin next week with removing the current seating and surface. The decision on what to include as part of the revamp came through from the Naenae Voice of the Community report. Details of the work to be undertaken during the coming months includes:
- Power: A new power connection under the pavers to the raised grass area has been installed.
- Stage: A timber stage on part of the raised grass will be built with wide steps that can double up as seating.
- Seating: Existing block seating will be replaced with large, curved seating as well as three smaller triangular seats. These more flexible seating will use recycled plastic slats in five different colours taking inspiration from the dyed flax weaving.
- Play: We are exploring creating a space with colour and possibilities for play. Helping us are the artists who created our newest mural and this theme will be extended across the ground to bring in opportunities for play and movement. This work is likely to begin in 2022 to complete the revamp.
- Trees: Unfortunately, two of the Titoki trees are not very happy where they are. They will be replaced with trees in large containers that can be moved as needed.