Hutt City Council and Naenae Primary School are teaming up to make sure local tamariki have the chance to swim this summer.
Since the closure of Naenae Pool in April 2019 Council Officers have been working hard to look at alternative pool options for the Naenae Community. We are happy to announce that from Monday 7 October 2019 until March 2020 the Naenae Primary School Pool will be open on weekends and in the school holidays, for children under 11 years old.
“The Naenae Pool project is a top priority for Council, and shortly we’ll be consulting and engaging with the community on both the wider vision for Naenae and options to return a pool to the community. In the meantime, we’re pleased to offer an alternative for Naenae tamariki over the summer months,” says Matt Reid
When the pool is open to the public it will be supervised by qualified Council employed Lifeguards and be operated under the same procedures as Council’s five other owned and operated facilities.
- The outdoor pool is 15m x 5m, approximately 0.8 – 0.9m deep and located in the Naenae Primary School grounds.
- Hutt City Council is installing an energy efficient heat pump which will use the ambient air and electricity to heat the pool water to 26 degrees.
- Due to the size of the pool it is suitable for children under 11 years and parents with babies only, and has a limit of 34 people at any one time.
- Changing rooms and toilets will be available onsite.
- At this stage the opening hours will be from 11am – 4pm during the school holidays (Mon 7 Oct 2019 – Sun 13 Oct 2019 and Sat 21 Dec 2019 – Sun 26 Jan 2020) and on weekends.
McKenzie Baths will also be opening earlier this year on 30 September instead of mid-November. This will provide another swimming location for Lower Hutt residents while the weather warms up and will also provide another swimming location while Stokes Valley Pool is closed for their annual maintenance which takes two weeks, 30 September – 13 October (inclusive).