With Guy Fawkes upon us, we are reminding you to exercise caution when enjoying fireworks and to observe alcohol free zones.
Alcohol free zones are in place along Petone Foreshore at all times and in Days Bay from 6pm Monday 5 November until 6am Tuesday 6 November.
Environmental Health Team Leader Dean Bentley says that while the Council understands people like to celebrate, it’s important to act responsibly and ensure fireworks are only used in open spaces.
“We’d like to see people acting responsibly over this period by observing liquor ban notices and ensuring fireworks are only lit in open spaces. Guy Fawkes is a fun family celebration, and we want to ensure that it is enjoyed safely.”
Other tips for staying safe include:
- Read and follow the instructions on fireworks before using them
- Keep animals indoors
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose handy
- Never point fireworks at people
- Remember that fireworks and alcohol/drugs are a dangerous combination
- Always let an adult light the fireworks.
- Keep all unlit fireworks in their box or bag until you light them, and
Fireworks are noisy – please consider your neighbours and the time of day.